We’re in that mode again.
Our move is on the horizon and we’re on the hunt for good resources for living in China. Cost-of-living calculator? Check. VPNs and how to use them? Check. Where to travel first when we have a long weekend? Check. A list of all the national holidays? Check.
I know we’re not alone in our tendency to hoard information. It’s just that, unlike other countries, we’ve found reliable, current information about China to be difficult to uncover. Sadly. I mean, eventually we’re happy to become the preeminent authorities for expats in China, but for now, we’re relying on others to fill up our well of knowledge.
Anyway, we’ve been doing our homework and here’s the beginning: 100 resources for living, working and traveling in China. From taxes to visas, to visiting the dentist. Plus all the fun stuff, including the ultimate guide to traveling by train in China, to how to book cheap flights.
Side note: We’d love to hear about anything we’ve missed, so please email or comment below with any of your most fantastic resources for living in China. Many thanks for helping us keep this list current and accurate.
Last Updated: May 2017
Know Before You Go
- China Visa Requirements
- VisaRite (3rd party company to help arrange visas)
- Our Visa Document Gathering Process
- Jurisdiction-Specific Visa Requirements
Cost of Living
- Personal Account of Expat Budget
- Detailed Country-Level Prices by Category
- Take Home Pay Calculator
- Detailed Prices by City
- The Ultimate Guide to Health Insurance in China
- Going to the Dentist in China
- Getting Sick in China
- Summary of a Typical Health Insurance Plan
- Health Insurance Broker to Compare Plans
- Utilities in China
- Rent in China
- Rental Site I (all of China, choose city)
- Rental Site II (all of China, choose city)
- Must-Have Apps
- WeChat (the app that does everything in China)
- Can I Use My Cell Phone In China?
- Mobile Phone FAQs
- What Is a VPN?
- VPN Reviews I
- VPN Reviews II
- Essential Shanghai Street Food
- All About Hot Pot
- China’s Top 8 Food Streets
- Guide to Food and Drink in Shanghai
- Beijing Restaurant Guide
- Beijing Street Food Guide
- 58 Chinese Regional Cuisines
- Top Foods to Try in China
- Food Tours in Beijing, Chengdu and Xi’an
- Food Tours in Hong Kong, Guangzhou and Shanghai
China Expat Blogs
- Shanghai Halfpat
- Asian Living
- Beijing Expat Guide
- Tom Freelance
- Shanghai Street Stories
- Travel Cathay
- China Mike
- Two Americans in China
- China Elevator Stories
- Living a Dream in China
- Far West China
Shenzhen Specific Resources
We’re moving to Shenzhen, the biggest city you’ve never heard of, near Hong Kong. These resources are all for this city, but most of these sites are duplicated for other major cities.
Our China Travel Bucket List
- Southwest High Speed Train Itinerary
- Jiayuguan Fortress
- Kashgar Sunday Market
- Chengdu (Pandas + More!)
- Hiking and Camping on the Great Wall
- Complete Two-Week Travel Itinerary
- Around Yangshuo
- Hong Kong in the Summer
- 30 Days in China Budget (2016 data)
- Jiuzhiagou National Park
- Best Things to Do in Harbin
- 3 Nights in Guilin
- The 7 Wonders of Hangzhou
- Xi’an, Warriors and More
- The Mekong River (far SW China)
- Yangtze River Cruise
- Into Tibet
- National Holiday Schedule
- Religion Basics
- Chinese Zodiac
- Attending Chinese Weddings
- The ‘Cult of Face’
- China and Tibet Relations FAQ
And there you have it. 100 resources for living, working and traveling in China. We are so excited about our upcoming adventure and can’t wait to immerse ourselves in a fascinating new culture.
Like we said from the top, we’re hungry for all amazing resources for living in China that you know of, so please feel free to leave links and tips in the comments below. Or if you have too much to say, shoot us an email. We will be updating this list periodically and we’re happy to include any and all valuable information.